Some people shy away from winter sessions because, well, it’s cold. But winter sessions make for some prime photo ops, so don’t write off the brr months.
1. Keep tracking the weather. Those white winter days after a lot of snowfall can result in some seriously gorgeous photographs. Booking two months out probably won’t work, and you’ll instead want to book on a shorter notice.
2. Really play up the winter accessories when planning outfits. Think cozy knit scarves, colorful coats, adorable boots, mittens and more.
3. Plan the day out so that nobody gets fussy or too cold. A bribe of hot chocolate after the session goes a long way. Also make sure that everyone’s dressed warmly.
4. Don’t be afraid to have fun in that snow. Snowball fights? Snowman building? Angels? The possibilities are endless and this should be all about having fun.
5. Choose colours and prints that pop. An all white background is absolutely beautiful, but having that pop of red or that flash of gingham can really make for a gorgeous photograph.
6. Pack the necessities. Noses tend to run in the cold, and glasses can fog up. Bring tissues, hand-warming packs, clean clothes and hot beverages to keep everyone perky throughout the shoot.
7. Because it can be really cold, note that a shorter session may be in order. Make the most of your photos by using every single second to the max, especially at the beginning of the session when everyone’s still warm and spirits are particularly high.
Amy Cheng Photography offers Red Deer and Calgary families the very best in portrait photography! I pride myself on delivering a fun, relaxing experience where you feel valued and beautiful! I specialize in family photography but also offer newborn sessions, maternity sessions, wedding photography, pet sessions, senior grad sessions and event photography.
I service the Red Deer and surrounding areas, including but not limited to, Calgary, Olds, Rocky Mountain House, Sylvan Lake, Lacombe and Blackfalds.
I have been serving the Red Deer and Calgary area (as well as everything in between, and surrounding!) for over 7 years now, and I have loved every minute of it! I specialize in Wedding and Family Photography but also enjoy doing a bit of Event & Corporate Photography throughout the year. It is my goal (and an honour!) to create quality images that my clients showcase in their homes and on social media. I'd love to work with you!! ~ Amy
©2022 Amy Cheng photography | wedding photographer | family photographer | red deer & calgary photographer
SERVING CENTRAL & SOUTHERN ALBERTA
serving Central & Southern Alberta