1. Winter sessions are short: I’ve done sessions that last 1+ hours with some very brave clients who are willing to brave the cold. But let’s face it, who wants to be outside for a long session in the dead of winter? If kids are involved, that’s a whole other ballgame! Hands and cheeks start turning red, and kids get cranky fast. But that’s ok…I have sessions available for 15 minutes or 30 minutes that are perfect for winter temps! And we always have the option of jumping into our cars to warm up for a bit, then continuing the session.
2. Winter sessions are unique: What seems to be the most popular time of year to do a photoshoot – FALL! Why not be different?! Instead of hanging photos on your wall from sweaty, humid summer days, or windy fall weekends…decorate yours with matching scarves and mitts, looking cute all bundled up next to your love – whether they are two legged or four.
3. Winter sessions are about simplicity: Without any green grass, leaves or other objects taking the focus away from you, having the white snow is like a blank canvas. The opportunities are endless, and it’s easy to have the focus directly on you. Pine trees are the epitome of winter and the holiday season, and can really accentuate a setting and make it feel even more magical.
4. Winter sessions are the perfect excuse for cuddling: The one thing I love about the cold? Hot chocolate and curling up under a blanket. Let’s go out in the snow and I’ll capture you and your love cuddled together, sipping on hot chocolate, wrapped under a blanket. Or we can get close and snuggle up with your kids and favourite furbabies. Either way, cuddling is highly encouraged.
5. Winter sessions have gorgeous lighting: On the days when the sun shines, the light that is produced is amazing. The sun is lower, which results in more flattering light and reduced harsh shadows, which is my absolute favourite to photograph in. This beautiful light also prevents squinting by all participants! Plus, with the time change, sessions are done earlier, which means you have the evening to relax and spend with your love.
(article taken in part from https://www.alyssasmolen.com/blog/5-reasons-you-need-a-winter-shoot)
Amy Cheng Photography offers Red Deer and Calgary families the very best in portrait photography! I pride myself on delivering a fun, relaxing experience where you feel valued and beautiful! I specialize in family photography but also offer newborn sessions, maternity sessions, wedding photography, pet sessions, senior grad sessions and event photography.
I service the Red Deer and surrounding areas, including but not limited to, Calgary, Olds, Rocky Mountain House, Sylvan Lake, Lacombe and Blackfalds.